Sean M. Maher
- Federal and State Criminal Trial
- White Collar Criminal Law
- Appellate Litigation
- New York
- District of Columbia
- United States Court of Appeals
for the Second Circuit
- United States District Court
for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court
for the Eastern District of New York
- J.D., Boston University School of Law, cum laude, 1995
- B.A., Northwestern University, 1991
Sean Maher’s practice focuses on federal and state criminal defense. He has represented clients charged with a wide array of criminal activity, including murder, providing material support to terrorists, conspiracy to assassinate the President of the United States, healthcare fraud, tax fraud, money laundering, drug trafficking, and sex offenses. Mr. Maher also provides representation for businesses and organizations facing federal and state investigation and prosecution.
Recent cases of Mr. Maher include:
- Represented at trial an attorney charged with federal conspiracy to commit immigration fraud by assisting clients in filing false asylum applications. Government sought over $4 million in restitution.
- Represented at trial a physician charged with participation in a conspiracy to commit federal healthcare fraud involving over $275 million dollars.
- Represented client charged with federal RICO gang conspiracy to commit multiple aggravated assaults and attempted murders.
- Represented client charged with federal conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud with losses totaling up to $500 million.
- Represented client charged with federal conspiracy to distribute over 1,000 kilograms of marijuana in violation of 21 U.S.C. § 841(b)(1)(A) and subject to the federal career offender sentencing enhancement.
- Represented client charged with federal conspiracy to import more than 150 kilograms of cocaine and more than 30 kilograms of heroin into the United States from Colombia in violation of 21 U.S.C. § 960 & 963 and 21 USC § 841(b)(1)(A).
- Represented client charged with federal conspiracy to commit Hobbs Act robbery and to possess and distribute 40 kilograms of cocaine by impersonating DEA agents and robbing suspected drug dealers.
Prior to forming The Law Offices of Sean M. Maher, PLLC, Mr. Maher was a partner in the firm of Wahid, Vizcaino & Maher LLP based in New York and Miami. Before entering private practice, Mr. Maher was a supervising attorney at the Neighborhood Defender Service of Harlem where Mr. Maher represented hundreds of clients facing felony and misdemeanor charges, ranging from infanticide, serial rape, and gang execution to minor drug possession and DUI. Mr. Maher also handled hundreds of felony cases as a senior trial attorney at the Fulton County Public Defender's Office in Atlanta, Georgia.
Mr. Maher and his cases have been covered in various new media, including the New York Times, National Public Radio, BBC News, al Jazeera English, Democracy Now!, the New York Daily News, the New York Post, as well other national and local news outlets.
Mr. Maher received his B.A. from Northwestern University in 1991 and graduated cum laude from Boston University School of Law in 1995, where he was an Article Editor of the Boston University Law Review.
Mr. Maher is a member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers and the New York Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers. He is member of the State and Federal Bars of New York, as well as the State Bar of Georgia and the Bar of the District of Columbia.